Monday, August 22, 2011

Sanctuary: What is it?

I am thinking today, and on other days of late, about what makes for sanctuary. HGTV does a wonderful job plumbing the depths of our housing needs both structural and decorative, so I am not as much interested in the trappings of home as sanctuary when I am thinking about the word. And then, the spiritualists among us have long written, sung, meditated and prayed within their inner sanctuaries, so I am not sure if my interests are from this angle either. I may be thinking about our sense of individual sanctuary in all of our minutes within the day. The place that when cultivated can become our own unique touchstone, a combination of our inner world comingled with our outer world of home, work and family-- the intersection of emotion, spirit, cognitions with our outter existence-- sort of that sweet spot of groundedness that is so necessary as we navigate life in these times. I'll keep thinking about this and report what comes of it.